Sunday, December 3, 2017

December 4 - 8, 2017

Lakeside Lightning,

The World is Yours: Turning Obstacles Into Opportunities 

Please join us for our Winter Festival concerts this week. Our 7th and 8th grade students will be performing on Wednesday, December 6 at 7:00 PM in the Auditorium. The 6th grade Winter Concert is on Thursday, December 7 at 7:00 PM in the Auditorium. Come out and see our wonderful choir and band students!

Mrs. Witchnick's class decorating! 
We had another epic week at Lakeside Middle School. On Wednesday, we were fortunate to host the Strategic Planning Meeting session. The Strategic Plan is a collaborative process that is bringing together community, staff, administration and students to discuss where we are going as a district. Lakeside was represented with 7 teachers and 2 students as well as many parents. Want more information on the Strategic Planning process? Click here 

On Thursday we hosted a parent night for Anti Bullying through the Child Assault Prevention (CAP) program. Sue Bacon, who coordinates the CAP, reviewed what students will be learning about in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade CAP. All Lakeside students will be participating in CAP in order to learn more about the various types of bullying, how to stop it, and how to be safe as a child.

National Junior Honor Society 
NJHS is collected new or gently used children's books for the Lena's Library project. Lena is a local 4 year old girl who was recently diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor. You can drop off your books to Mrs. Booz in the choir room or Mrs. Gaudio in Y 133. Thank you in advance for making a difference in Lena's life.

National Honor Society - Earlier this week the National Honor Society had their inductions. Each student chose a role mode to acknowledge. We are proud to list the following LMS staff who were selected for this special evening. Thank you to our staff for making a difference! 

Amalia Cottrell for Mrs. Tymkiw: Mrs. Tymkiw is honestly the most phenomenal teacher I have ever crossed paths with. She not only taught life lessons and core English skills, but she also had to deal with my antics during a very strange time in my life. I will forever be indebted to her.

Sandra Cruz for Mrs. Pettit: Throughout my years of education, things became hard for the first time in 6th grade. The transition from elementary school to middle school terrified me. My personal life took a toll and things became difficult. Little did I know that I had a blessing coming my way...a blessing I can be thankful for - for the rest of my life. My 6th grade Language Arts teacher, Mrs. Pettit, inspired me to take pride in everything I do, believe in all my dreams and goals, and never give up on myself. Mrs. Pettit may have never known before but she had one of the biggest influences on my life, and for that, I shall forever be grateful.

Vincent Felice for Mr. Hakola: I chose Mr. Hakola because in the two short years of him being my teacher and coach, I learned more about the world (well obviously, he taught Geography!) and life as a whole being in his company than the 12 years I was on this Earth leading up to having him. Whether it was in or outside of the classroom, I always felt like family around him, and he set an example of what all educators should strive to be like.

Caleb Maurer for Mrs. Pettit: Mrs. Pettit was the first teacher to truly push me in my learning. She was everything I feared and everything I could have wanted as a teacher in a new school. Her tough and rigorous style of teaching forced me to expand my thinking and become a better student. I thank Mrs. Pettit for the dedication that she has to grow her students and to help them become the best they can be.

Emily Rathgeb for Mrs. Hallenbeck: Thank you Mrs. Hallenbeck for always believing in me and giving me opportunities to succeed. You have helped me grow and become the person I am today and because of that I will always be thankful for you.

Diamond Rivera for Mrs. Kern: A good teacher can teach you something that you will remember for a day, but a great one will teach you something that you will remember for the rest of your life. Mrs. Kern has influenced who I am as a person today. She has taught me to work hard and always do my best as long as I believe in myself. I would describe her as always being happy and cheerful. She taught algebra and AVID for three hours everyday and brought our class together as a family. I thank her for preparing me to become the person I am and to shine bright at anything I set out to be!

Isabella Vidro for Mrs. Gandy: Mrs. Gandy is teacher who showed me my talents and proved to me that I could go places with my gift of writing. I remember when she told me that she shared my written stories with her husband, and how they were both impressed with my work. It was the first time I truly realized that I was good at something I really loved doing. Now I am planning on going to college to minor in creative writing and it may just be that writing certificate she awarded me with in 7th grade that got me here. Thank you, Mrs. Gandy, for motivating me to pursue something I am still so passionate about!

Ayden Simpkins-Staples for Mrs. Brown: Mrs. Brown was my “school mom.” She made sure I was on top of all my work and made me the diligent person I am today. Without her, I believe my academics would not be where they are. She   always told me that I could do anything and to shoot for the stars. Thank you Mrs. Brown for being my second mom and caring for me so much.

Lacey Taylor for Mrs. Sooy: When I was in 8th grade I was going through a hard time in my life and I felt like I had no one. Whenever I was not feeling good or just wanted to isolate myself, Mrs. Sooy was there for me for everything. I could tell her anything on my mind and not feel any type of judgment. She would just be there to listen to what I had to say and it meant everything to me.

Christianna Zimmerman for Mrs. Pettit: During my first year of attending public school, Mrs. Pettit helped show me the way. From homework to English to school, Mrs. Pettit was my own personal cheerleader. Because of this wonderful woman, I am the successful student I am today. 

NJHS did a make over on this bulletin board! 
Daily Announcements
Our Peace and Respect Days Update is:
6th: 10 Days
7th: 0 Days
8th: 0 Days
Congratulations 6th grade on earning Free Seat Friday!!

All Chorale choir members should report to choir rehearsal on Monday, December 3rd during 5th period. All 6th grade choir members should attend rehearsal during 4th period...Including "A" day choir member on Monday, December 3rd.
The rehearsal for Seussical BIRD GIRLS is cancelled for today.  Please make plans to leave school at dismissal.
Attention AVA Club, we will have a meeting today, Friday December 1 at 3:20 in the DMC. 

For any student wanting to wrestle for the Lakeside Wrestling team, but missed the meeting.  Please see Coach Williams in M101 to receive any papers and talk about physical status.  First practice is Monday 12/4 in the auxiliary gym only for students cleared.  If you're not sure about being cleared for practice, then see Coach Williams in M101.
Student Council Announcements: All service project items are due at the next meeting on Dec. 13.  Please make sure you have all your items in by then.  6th/7th grade meeting is Dec. 6. 4pm pickup - please be on time.

Get into the Holiday Spirit:  Come one Come all -Student Council is sponsoring a school wide toy drive to benefit Angels of God Community Outreach.  We are in need of unwrapped gifts.   Please leave your donations in the box by the front office.  All gifts will be needed by Dec. 15.

Get your yearbook!!  Order your yearbook!!  Yearbook pre-orders are now being taken in Mrs. Sooy's room, M133.  The cost is $20 if you order in November or December and $25 after that.  Bring cash or check to Millville Board of Education to Mrs. Sooy in M133.  Don't miss out!!

Don't forget to eshare your photos for the yearbook.  Directions were handed out in homeroom, and they are on posters in the hallways.  Mrs. Sooy wants your pictures with friends, with teachers, with teammates.  She wants your selfies, your snapchat filters, your black and whites.  So upload, upload, upload using the code Lakeside18.

Thank you and today our joke of the week is what do elves call it when people clap at the North Pole? Santapplause. Have a funny week!

Pictures from around the school
Caring Court is getting a make over 

Preparing for the concert 

A Canadian Goose went through the window 

Fun at LMS 

CAP Program for parents 

6th Grade Students of the Month 

Fun at LMS 

Fun at LMS 

Mr. Williams's class writing 3 paragraph essays while he edits in real time through Google 

Twinning at LMS
Ms. Carroll and Ms. Votta twinning AVID style 

Ms. Votta, Mrs. Raugh and Mrs. Hallenbeck tripleting 

Mrs. Deckert and Mrs. Gandy twinning and holding a puppy 

Dr. Cook and Mr. Hudson twinning with the pink and grey 

Winners of the Week - The winners of this week's blog are the staff members who were acknowledged by the National Honor Society. Congratulations to Mrs. Sooy, Mrs. Pettit, Mrs. Hallenbeck, Mr. Hakola, Mrs. Brown, Mrs. Kern, Mrs. Tymkiw, and Mrs. Gandy! 

Weekly Overview
Monday - 12/4/17 - B Day - Book fair - Phys Ed Club, BOE Meeting, 7:00 PM 
Tuesday - 12/5/17 - A Day - Book fair- Homework, Phys Ed, Art, Math, Cheer Clubs, 3:20 PM
Wednesday - 12/6/17 - B Day - Book fair; Grade 7 and 8 Winter Festival, 7:00 PM 
Thursday - 12/7/17 - A Day - Book fair; PBSIS Ambassadors, Lego Team, HW, LAL, Shades of Blue clubs 3:20 PM; Grade 6 Winter Concert, 7:00 PM 
Friday - 12/8/17 - B Day - Book fair

Published by Dr. Spike Cook, Millville, NJ 

No comments:

Post a Comment